Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Small Things

"Be faithful in the small things, because it is in them that your strength lies." - Mother Teresa

Now this blog will become my record of my journey.  I have been dealing with the feeling of being discouraged.  Setting goals and working towards those goals, and, just as importantly, having records of my progress, is my self-prescribed way out.

How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time, of course.  But when it seems like the elephant is some sort of cancerous tumor that just keeps on growing, well, you get tired of eating.  You get full.  I can't help it.  Right now, my elephant is growing beyond the rate at which I can chomp.  But not taking bites is not making it stop growing.

And, really, it's not helpful to view your life as a cancerous elephant, even if it doesn't fit nicely into boxes.  To be clear, I do not really see my life that way.

Because I like for things to fit nicely into boxes, I have a few tools to help me try to do that.

- For goals - which I'm thinking of as medium-to-long-term goals - I'm going to use 43 Things.  I do not have 43 goals.  http://www.43things.com/person/julialedesma

- For disciplines - by which I mean daily or weekly habits that I want to integrate - I'm using Joe's Goals:
Julia's Personal Score Badge

So, this blog will be used as a gratitude journal, somewhere to chronicle my journey, as well as a place to file reports about the things I am learning as I go.  I might add our lesson plans, I might talk about applying to nursing school, and I might tell you about Mother Teresa or Jewish customs.

It's really for me, and I doubt anyone else will read it, but I hope someone else who might be a little discouraged finds it helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment